This is just a brief list of the types of plastics you find in America. They are normally noted by a number on the bottom of the container, but are also usually accompanied by an acronym. The meanings of these plastic acronyms are listed below.
- Polyethylene Terephthalate (#1 plastic)
- High-Density Polyethylene (#2 plastic)
- Polyvinyl Chloride (#3 plastic, also called PVC)
- Low-Density Polyethylene (#4 plastic)
- Polypropylene (#5 plastic)
- Polystyrene (#6 plastic)
Number 7 polycarbonate plastics are classified as "Other," so they have no acronym. But just so you know, #7 plastics, like Lexan, are toxic
If you have some time, you might also like to read this article about recyclable plastics
. It explains what each of these plastics is used for and what they are used for after they've been recycled.